The PillCam™ UGI capsule endoscopy system is intended for visualization of the upper gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach, duodenum). It may be used for visualization of blood in the upper gastrointestinal tract (esophagus, stomach, duodenum) in patients who are hemodynamically stable and at least 18 years of age.
- Contraindications for PillCam™ UGI system include:
- Patients with known or suspected GI obstructions, strictures or fistulas based on the clinical picture or pre-procedure testing and profile.
- Patients with cardiac pacemakers or other implanted electromedical devices.
- Patients with swallowing disorders.
Procedure Risk Information
- The risks of the PillCam™ UGI capsule include capsule retention, aspiration and skin irritation.
- Endoscopic placement may present additional risks.
- Medical, endoscopic or surgical intervention may be necessary to address any of these complications, should they occur.
- After ingesting the PillCam™ UGI capsule and until it is excreted, patients should not be near any source of powerful electromagnetic fields, such as one created near an MRI device.
- Please refer to the product user manual for detailed information.