Patient Comfort, Surgeon Confidence, Peace of Mind
The AbsorbaTack™ fixation device, designed for patient comfort, surgeon confidence, and peace of mind, provides strong, temporary mesh fixation while leaving no foreign material in the body over time. It requires no sharp piloting needle to deploy, eliminating the risk of inadvertent needle sticks in the OR due to the fixation device.
The NEW AbsorbaTack™ (ABSTACK30X) fixation device for laparoscopic hernia repair continues to deploy tacks when the shaft is flexed over 3 cm. A short version (ABSTACK20S) is available for open hernia repair.
AbsorbaTack™ Fixation Device Highlights
No sharp or protruding mechanism
Continues to fire with over 3 cm of shaft flex 1
New full length guide spring
- Point-and-shoot design
- Easy-to-use pistol grip for secure firing
- Ratcheted handle provides tactile feedback when firing
New Incremental Markings on Shaft
- Violet color and black-dot feature for improved visualization
- Absorbable PGLA tack is 4.1 mm long for a secure repair
- 5.1 mm proximal wings securely hold mesh to target tissue
New flexible cable drive mechanism and shaft
AbsorbaTack™ Fixation Device Features
Designed with patient comfort in mind:
- Interim clinical study results showed a 54% reduction of pain from the preoperative baseline at 1 month follow up2
- Leaves no foreign material behind over time
- No metal required for fixation
- Supports a minimally invasive approach through 5 mm shaft and easy-to-use design
- Provides strong temporary mesh fixation, with retention strength comparable to the “gold standard” ProTack™ fixation device at 1 week and 2 months in an animal model3
- Longer tack length than ProTack™ fixation device (4.1 mm vs. 3.8 mm), and wide 5.1 mm proximal wings that secure mesh firmly in place
- Reliable tack deployment, with ratcheted mechanism providing tactile feedback when firing
Peace of mind:
- Reduces the likelihood of inadvertent needle sticks in the OR, since no sharp piloting needles are required for deployment
- Potentially fewer visceral attachments than permanent tack fixation3
- Violet tack with black-dot visualization feature to optimize visibility
1 Covidien Internal Test Report: ABX-003, August 2012
2 Rosen, M., et al. Post-Operative Pain After Laparoscopic Inguinal Hernia Repair: AbsorbaTack™ vs. ProTack™ Interim Results From a Prospective Randomized Study. 32nd International Congress of the European Hernia Society, October 7, 2010, Istanbul. Study sponsored by Covidien.
3 Hollinsky, C., et al. Tensile strength and adhesion of mesh fixation systems used in laparoscopic incisional hernia repair. Surg Endosc. 2010 Jun;24(6):1318-24. Epub 2009 Dec 24.
Data from a prospective study (Hollinsky et al, 2009) of 25 Sprague-Dawley rats with two 2 x 3cm of Parietex™ meshes fixed intraperitoneally in a paramedian location. Randomized fixation groups included transfacial fixed suture, ProTack™ fixation device, AbsorbaTack™ fixation device, and I-Clip™.
Based on an animal model. Total attachment score was calculated by adding up points from the parameters of attachment extent, type, tenacity, and organ involvement. The authors note “With regard to the adhesions caused by the various fixation elements, we again draw attention to the fact that animal experiments have their natural limitations, and the results cannot be directly extrapolated to the human setting.” (Hollinsky et al, 2009).
|Method of Tack Delivery||Spiral. 5mm shaft and easy-to-use design. Controlled placement of tacks through point-and-shoot design.|
|Handle||Ergonomic pistol-grip handle. Ratcheted mechanism provides tactile feedback during firing.|
|Shaft Length||36cm (long shaft) 18cm (short shaft)|
|Tack Material||Absorbable polyester copolymer derived from lactic acid and glycolic acid poly (glycolide-co-Llactide) (PGLA). Dyed with D&C Violet No. 2.|
|Tack Design||Screw-in tack requires no piloting sharps to place; smooth head with proximal wings sits flush against mesh.|
|Tack Dimensions||5.1mm (total length) 4.1mm (inserted length) 1.0mm (profile) 5.1mm (proximal wings provide surface area to hold mesh in place)|
|Tack Removal||Tack can be unscrewed if necessary.|
|ABSTACK30X||NEW 5mm Single Use Abs Fix Device w/ 30 tacks|
|ABSTACK15||5mm Single Use Abs Fix Device w/ 15 tacks|
|ABSTACK30||5mm Single Use Abs Fix Device w/ 30 tacks|
|ABSTACK20S||5mm Single Use Abs Fix Device w/ 20 tacks, Short|
AbsorbaTack™ Fixation Device (ABSTACK30X) Info Sheet
An informational overview of the new AbsorbaTack™ fixation device for laparoscopic hernia repair.
View Info Sheet
AbsorbaTack™ Fixation Device VAC Pack
An in-depth overview featuring clinical and competitive information.
View Value Analysis
AbsorbaTack™ Fixation Device Animation (ABSTACK30X)
An animation featuring the new AbsorbaTack™ fixation device for laparoscopic hernia repair .
AbsorbaTack™ Fixation Device (ABSTACK20) Information Sheet
An informational overview of the AbsorbaTack™ fixation device for open hernia repair.
View Info Sheet
AbsorbaTack™ Fixation Device Animation (ABSTACK20)
An animation featuring the AbsorbaTack™ 20 short fixation device for open hernia repair.
Hernia Product Guide
A catalog of hernia care products offered by Covidien.