Airway Management & Protection
The Medtronic intubation product portfolio offers a full range of
sizes from adult to pediatric. These products are quality tested for
reliability. The products can be segmented into five key areas:
- basic and specialty solutions for the OR
- subglottic suction endotracheal tubes for the ICU and Critical Care
- enhanced direct laryngoscopes
- laryngeal masks
- airway management accessories
Quality airway management devices from a trusted partner.
Mallinckrodt™ Evac Endotracheal Tube with TaperGuard™ Cuff
Reduces ventilator-associated pneumonia by an average of 50%.1
Mallinckrodt™ Evac Oral Tracheal Tube, SealGuard™, Murphy Eye
Incorporates Mallinckrodt™ Evac technology with a polyurethane cuff.
McGRATH® MAC Enhanced Direct Laryngoscope
Combines an inline video display camera with the familiarity of direct laryngoscopy technique.
Mallinckrodt™ TaperGuard™ Oral/Nasal Endotracheal Tube
TaperGuard™ tubes offer a simple and cost-effective way to reduce the risk of silent aspiration and protect the trachea.
Mallinckrodt™ Cuffed Basic Endotracheal Tubes
Standard cuffed endotracheal tubes available in a wide range of sizes and configurations.
Mallinckrodt™ Endobronchial Tube
The Mallinckrodt™ endobronchial tube supports oxygenation during single lung ventilation.
Mallinckrodt™ Endotracheal Tube with TaperGuard™ Cuff, Murphy Eye with Preloaded Stylet
Improve compliance and reduce waste using endotracheal tubes with preloaded stylet.
Mallinckrodt™ Esophageal Endotracheal Airway, Double Lumen
Allows blind placement without a laryngoscope and establishes a patent airway when placed into either the trachea or the esophagus.
Mallinckrodt™ Laser Oral Endotracheal Tubes
Mallinckrodt™ laser oral endotracheal tubes have a stainless steel body that is airtight, flexible and laser-resistant.
Mallinckrodt™ Nasopharyngeal Airway
Provides an open airway that is designed to make suctioning and bronchoscopy easier, safer and less traumatic.
Mallinckrodt™ Oral/Nasal Endotracheal Tube Cuffless, Non-DEHP, Murphy Eye
Medtronic offers a range of neonatal and pediatric cuffless endotracheal tubes made with a citrate-based plasticizer that does not contain phthalates.
Mallinckrodt™ Oral/Nasal Endotracheal Tube, Cuffless with Monitoring Lumen
Intended for oral/nasal intubation and indicated for use in airway management.
Mallinckrodt™ Oral/Nasal RAE Endotracheal Tubes with TaperGuard™ Cuff
With the same preformed curve that helps remove the circuit from the surgical field, these tubes are ideal for surgical procedures where aspiration is a concern.
Shiley™ Laryngeal Mask
Designed to provide a secure airway suitable for spontaneous, assisted or controlled ventilation during routine and emergency anesthetic procedures.
Mallinckrodt™ Intubating Stylet
Helps reduce friction between stylet and endotracheal tube for easy insertion and withdrawal.
Nellcor™ Adult/Pediatric Colorimetric CO2 Detector
Attaches directly to the endotracheal tube (ETT), helping clinicians verify proper ETT placement.
TaperGuard™ Cuff Technology - The Low-Impact, Low-Pressure Endotracheal Tube
Friction or pressure between the tracheal cuff and the trachea’s sensitive mucosa can lead to irritation, ischemia and tracheal trauma([FOOTNOTE=Liu J, Zhang X, Gong W. Correlations between controlled endotracheal tube cuff pressure and postprocedural complications: a multicenter study. Anesth Analg. 2010;111(5):1133–7.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]) , ([FOOTNOTE=Seegobin RD, van Hasselt GL. Endotracheal cuff pressure and tracheal mucosal blood flow: endoscopic study of effects of four large volume cuffs. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1984;288(6422):965–968.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]).
Endotracheal tubes with TaperGuard™ cuff technology have features that may help reduce the tracheal impact of intubation with a unique, taper-shaped cuff design that provides a smaller area of contact with the patient’s airway than traditional barrel-shaped cuffs.2
Unique TaperGuard cuff design:
- Exerts 29% less pressure on the trachea([FOOTNOTE=Lichtenthal PR, Wood L, Wong A, Borg U. Pressure applied to tracheal wall by barrel and taper shaped cuffs. Proc Am Soc Anesth Annual Meeting. 2011:A1054.],[ANCHOR=View Abstract],[LINK=/content/covidien/websites/medtronic/com/en/covidien/support/clinical-evidence.html?id=805252])
- Reduces intracuff pressure required to obtain an adequate seal compared to Mallinckrodt™ Hi-Lo cuffs([FOOTNOTE=Tsuboi S, Miyashita T, Yamaguchi Y, et al.. The TaperGuard endotracheal tube intracuff pressure increase is less than that of the Hi-Lo tube during nitrous oxide exposure: a model trachea study. Anesth Analg. 2013;116: 609–612.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
- Provides more uniform pressure distribution than Mallinckrodt Hi-Lo cuffs at equivalent intracuff pressures([FOOTNOTE=Lichtenthal PR, Wood L, Wong A, Borg U. Pressure applied to tracheal wall by barrel and taper shaped cuffs. Proc Am Soc Anesth. 2011: A1054.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
- Reduces microaspiration by as much as 90% compared to Mallinckrodt™ Hi-Lo cuffs([FOOTNOTE=Lichtenthal PR, Maul D, Borg U. Do tracheal tubes prevent microaspiration? Br J Anaesth. 2011;107(5):821-822.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
Bibliography of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia Evidence
View a list of VAP studies.
Study Summary: Cost of Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia
Read the clinical summary about increased length of stay and cost associated with VAP.
Study Summary: Tracheobronchial Aspiration
Read the clinical summary of a study on aspiration and associated outcomes.
Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia Fact Sheet and Guideline Summary
Learn more about VAP and guidelines for its prevention.