Reduces Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia (VAP) by an Average of 50%([FOOTNOTE=Mallinckrodt™ TaperGuard™ Evac endotracheal tube 510(k)#090352 benchtop testing.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
The need to reduce ventilator associated events is the primary reason the Shiley™ evac oral endotracheal tube with TaperGuard™ cuff is critical for all patients on a ventilator in the ICU.
Advanced Airway Protection
Subglottic secretion drainage (SSD) helps remove oral and/or gastric secretions from above the endotracheal tube cuff before they can be aspirated. Such aspirations may lead to a very serious complication known as VAP or Ventilator Associated Pneumonia.
SSD must be done with a specialized endotracheal tube with a separate dorsal suction lumen located just above the cuff. Based upon clinical evidence, the following organizations recommend the use of SSD to reduce the incidence of VAP:
- SHEA Guidelines
- American Thoracic Society/ Infectious Diseases Society of America (ATS/IDSA) – Level I
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC) – Category II
- American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN)
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
Shiley™ Evac Endotracheal Tube with TaperGuard™ Cuff Highlights
Subglottic Secretion Drainage Fact Sheet
Learn more about subglottic secretion drainage to reduce VAP
Shiley™ Evac Tube with TaperGuard™ Cuff Brochure
Learn more about the Shiley™ evac endotracheal tube and TaperGuard™ technology.
Shiley™ Evac Oral Endotracheal Tube with TaperGuard™ Cuff Features
- An integrated cuff inflation line
- An integrated suction lumen
- Patented TaperGuard™ cuff
- Easy-to-read tube insertion markings
- Optional satin soft stylet
The use of subglottic suctioning combined with the hospital-designed VAP or VAC bundle can:
- Reduce overall antibiotic use
- Reduce the incidence of VAP
- Reduce the overall length of stay (LOS) required
- Improve patient outcomes
Reduce VAP by an average of 50%1
Clinical studies referenced in the table above were conducted using the Shiley™ Hi-Lo Evac endotracheal tube. The Shiley™ Evac endotracheal tube with TaperGuard™ cuff incorporates the same subglottic secretion drainage technology as the Shiley™ hi-lo evac endotracheal tube.2
*Calculation: Relative Risk Reduction = 1-((incidence rate in intervention group) ÷ (incidence rate in control group))15
- Muscedere J, Rewa O, McKechnie K, Jiang X, Laporta D, Heyland DK. Subglottic secretion drainage for the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care Med. 2011;39(8):1985-1991.[_View_Abstract_]
- Mallinckrodt™ TaperGuard™ Evac endotracheal tube 510(k)#090352 benchtop testing.
- Damas P, Frippiat F, Ancion A, et al. Prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia and ventilator-associated conditions: a randomized controlled trial with subglottic secretion suctioning. Crit Care Med. 2015;43(1):22-30.
- Hudson JK, Mcdonald BJ, Macdonald JC, Ruel MA, Hudson CC. Impact of subglottic suctioning on the incidence of pneumonia after cardiac surgery: a retrospective observational study. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015;29(1):59-63.
- Tao Z, Zhao S, Yang G, Wang L, Zhu S. [Effect of two methods of subglottic secretion drainage on the incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia]. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi. 2014;37(4):283-6.
- Lacherade JC, De Jonghe B, Guezennec P, et al. Intermittent subglottic secretion drainage and ventilator-associated pneumonia: a multicenter trial. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010;182(7):910-917.
- Bouza E, Pérez MJ, Muñoz P, Rincón C, Barrio JM, Hortal J. Continuous aspiration of subglottic secretions in the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia in the postoperative period of major heart surgery. Chest. 2008; 134(5):938-946. [_View_Abstract_]
- Lorente L, Lecuona M, Jiménez A, Mora ML, Sierra A. Influence of an endotracheal tube with polyurethane cuff and subglottic secretion drainage on pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2007;176(11):1079-1183. [ View Abstract ]
- Liu SH, Yan XX, Cao SQ, An SC, Zhang LJ. The effect of subglottic secretion drainage on prevention of ventilator-associated lower airway infection. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi. 2006;29(1):19-22. [ View Abstract ]
- Smulders K, van der Hoeven H, Weers-Pothoff I, Vandenbroucke-Grauls C. A randomized clinical trial of intermittent subglottic secretion drainage in patients receiving mechanical ventilation. Chest. 2002;121(3):858-862. [ View Abstract ]
- Bo H, He L, Qu J. Influence of the subglottic secretion drainage on the morbidity of ventilator associated pneumonia in mechanically ventilated patients. Zhonghua Jie He He Hu Xi Za Zhi. 2000;23(8):472-474. [ View Abstract ]
- Kollef MH, Skubas NJ, Sundt TM. A randomized clinical trial of continuous aspiration of subglottic secretions in cardiac surgery patients. Chest. 1999;116(5):1339-1346. [ View Abstract ]
- Vallés J, Artigas A, Rello J, et al. Continuous aspiration of subglottic secretions in preventing ventilator-associated pneumonia. Ann Intern Med. 1995;122 (3):179-186. [ View Abstract ]
- Mahul P, Auboyer C, Jospe R, et al. Prevention of nosocomial pneumonia in intubated patients: respective role of mechanical subglottic secretions drainage and stress ulcer prophylaxis. Intensive Care Med. 1992;18(1):20-5.[_View_Abstract_]
- Barratt A, Wyer PC, Hatala R, et al. Tips for learners of evidence-based medicine: 1. Relative risk reduction, absolute risk reduction and number needed to treat. CMAJ. 2004;171(4):353-8. [_View_Abstract_]
|Description||I.D. (mm)||O.D. (mm)||Catalog Number|
|Shiley™ Evac Endotracheal Tube with TaperGuard™ Cuff||6.0
VAP & SSD Fact Sheet
Learn more about how subglottic secretion drainage can help reduce VAP.
View Fact Sheet
Shiley™ Evac Endotracheal Tube with TaperGuard™ Cuff ICU Brochure
Learn more about how the Shiley™ Evac endotracheal tube with TaperGuard™ cuff helps reduce ventilator-assisted pneumonia in the ICU.
Shiley™ Evac ETT with TaperGuard™ Cuff Quick Guide For Use
Review how to use the Shiley™ Evac endotracheal tube with TaperGuard™ cuff.
Shiley™ Evac Endotracheal Tube with TaperGuard™ Cuff In-Service Video
Learn about VAP and how to use the Shiley™ Evac eendotracheal tube with TaperGuard™ cuff to help reduce the incidence of VAP.
Learn More About Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia.
The VAP clinical solutions webpage provide comprehensive resources for learning about VAP.
Visit Web Page