TaperGuard™ – the Low-Impact, Low-Pressure Endotracheal Tube Option
The Shiley™ TaperGuard™ oral/nasal endotracheal tube features a better sealing cuff that reduces secretions entering the lower respiratory tract by 90%([FOOTNOTE=Mallinckrodt™ TaperGuard™ endotracheal tube and Mallinckrodt™ TaperGuard™ Evac endotracheal tube 510(k)#090352 benchtop testing.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]) and exerts 29% less pressure([FOOTNOTE=Lichtenthal PR, Wood L, Wong A, Borg U. Pressure applied to tracheal wall by barrel and taper shaped cuffs. Paper presented at: Annual Meeting of the American Society of Anesthesiologists; October 15-19, 2011; Chicago, IL. Abstract A1054.],[ANCHOR=View Abstract],[LINK=/content/covidien/websites/medtronic/com/en/covidien/support/clinical-evidence.html?id=805252]) on the trachea.*
Given the impact of silent aspiration, the TaperGuard™ cuff technology could be a cost-effective strategy to improve patient outcomes and reduce hospital costs.
Friction or pressure between the tracheal cuff and the trachea’s sensitive mucosa can lead to irritation, ischemia and tracheal trauma.([FOOTNOTE=Liu J, Zhang X, Gong W. Correlations between controlled endotracheal tube cuff pressure and postprocedural complications: a multicenter study. Anesth Analg. 2010;111(5):1133–7.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]),([FOOTNOTE=Seegobin RD, van Hasselt GL. Endotracheal cuff pressure and tracheal mucosal blood flow: endoscopic study of effects of four large volume cuffs. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1984;288(6422):965–968.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]) Endotracheal tubes with TaperGuard™ cuff technology have features that may help reduce the tracheal impact of intubation with a unique, taper-shaped cuff design that provides a smaller area of contact with the patient’s airway than traditional barrel-shaped cuffs.4
Unique TaperGuard™ cuff design:
- Exerts 29% less pressure on the trachea2
- Reduces intracuff pressure required to obtain an adequate seal compared to Shiley™ Hi-Lo cuffs([FOOTNOTE=Tsuboi S, Miyashita T, Yamaguchi Y, et al.. The TaperGuard endotracheal tube intracuff pressure increase is less than that of the Hi-Lo tube during nitrous oxide exposure: a model trachea study. Anesth Analg. 2013;116: 609–612.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
- Provides more uniform pressure distribution than Shiley™ Hi-Lo cuffs at equivalent intracuff pressures2
- Reduces microaspiration by as much as 90% compared to Shiley™ Hi-Lo cuffs([FOOTNOTE=Lichtenthal PR, Maul D, Borg U. Do tracheal tubes prevent microaspiration? Br J Anaesth. 2011;107(5):821-822.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
Shiley™ TaperGuard™ Oral/Nasal Endotracheal Tube Highlights
Shiley™ TaperGuard™ Oral/Nasal Endotracheal Tube Features
Color-Coded Inflation Valve
15 mm Connector
Integrated Cuff Inflation Line
- Patented taper-shaped cuff design
- Murphy eye
- Radiopaque line
- Packaged sterile
|Shiley™ TaperGuard™ Oral/Nasal Endotracheal Tube, Murphy Eye||5.0 mm||6.9 mm||10/box||18750|
|5.5 mm||7.5 mm||10/box||18755|
|6.0 mm||8.2 mm||10/box||18760|
|6.5 mm||8.9 mm||10/box||18765|
|7.0 mm||9.5 mm||10/box||18770|
|7.5 mm||10.2 mm||10/box||18775|
|8.0 mm||10.8 mm||10/box||18780|
|8.5 mm||11.4 mm||10/box||18785|
|9.0 mm||12.1 mm||10/box||18790|
|10.0 mm||13.5 mm||10/box||18710|
Shiley™ Endotracheal Tubes with TaperGuard™ Cuff Clinical Evidence Review
Learn more about the clinical evidence supporting the TaperGuard™ cuff.
View Clinical Evidence
Shiley™ Tubes with TaperGuard™ Cuff Brochure
Learn more about the TaperGuard™ product family.
Shiley™ Endotracheal Tube with TaperGuard™ Cuff Video
Get a close-up look at the TaperGuard™ cuff difference.
Shiley™ Endotracheal Tube Products Quick Reference Guide
Learn more about the features and specifications of the full Shiley™ endotracheal tube line.