Trusted Performance. Enhanced Design.
The LigaSure™ 5 mm blunt tip 23 cm sealer and divider (LF1623) combines the signature sealing consistency of LigaSure™ technology with long cutting length, atraumatic grasping and blunt dissection.
Based on surgeon feedback, Covidien modified the LigaSure™ 5 mm blunt tip devices to enhance performance and ease of use¹. Building on the consistency of predecessor devices, the LF1623 offers the following improvements1, 2*:
- Improved blunt dissection
- Better stability
- Greater comfort and reduced fatigue
The LigaSure™ 5 mm blunt tip 23 cm instrument enables cutting independent of sealing, and provides sealing, grasping and access to surgical structures to accommodate a variety of open procedures, including:
1 Based on independent surgeon feedback collected during Covidien-sponsored porcine labs conducted in October 2; R0038389
2 Gold Validation Marketing Report
*As compared to the predecessor device
LigaSure™ 5 mm Blunt Tip 23 cm Instrument Highlights
LigaSure™ 5 mm Blunt Tip 23 cm Instrument Features
Contour tip: Facilitates fast dissection and creation of windows
Long cutting length: 17.8 mm
Atraumatic grasping: Grasps tissue strongly without causing damage
Wide jaw opening: Allows for better access to structures
Shaft length: 23 cm, designed for use in open surgery
Integrated cutting mechanism: Independent of sealing, leaves critical decisions in the surgeon’s hands
Ergonomic ring handle design: Accommodates a wide range of hand sizes
Rotation wheel: Facilitates access to hard to reach structures
Along with the enhanced design, the instrument offers the signature performance and sealing consistency of LigaSure™ technology:
- The LigaSure 5 mm blunt tip instrument was designed to offer the longest cutting length (17.8 mm) compared to other commercially available sealing devices
- Hand piece allows for left and right handed use
- Fuses vessels (arteries and veins) up to and including 7 mm in size, including lymphatics and tissue bundles
- Seals vessels, up to and including 7 mm, lymphatic and tissue bundles in 1-4 seconds when used with our energy platforms *
* Based on Covidien memo: "LigaSure Data Sources for VLFT10 White Papers." September 2015 RE00025819 Rev A.
|Physical Characteristics & Generator Compatibility|
|Length||23 cm (7.9 in)|
|Shaft Diameter||5 mm|
|Shaft Rotation||180 Degrees|
|Jaw Design||Straight, Blunt|
|Seal Length||19.5 mm|
|Cut Length||17.8 mm|
|Generator Compatibility||Covidien Energy Platforms|
|Sterile, Single Use|
|Hand Switching or Foot Switching|
|Ordering Quantity||6 Units/Case|
LigaSure™ Technology – Delivering Performance Beyond Expectations
Across the range of products and procedures, LigaSure™ technology delivers a unique combination of pressure and energy to create a consistent seal with each application.
- Provides a combination of pressure and energy to create vessel fusion
- Permanently fuses vessels up to and including 7 mm in diameter and tissue bundles without dissection or isolation
- Average seal cycle is 2 to 4 seconds, when used with the ForceTriad™ energy platform
- Seals withstand three times normal systolic blood pressure
- Feedback-controlled response system automatically discontinues energy delivery when the seal cycle is complete, eliminating the guesswork
LigaSure™ instruments have been found to:
- Have the highest burst pressure, fastest sealing time and were highest rated overall compared to Gyrus PK™*, Harmonic ACE™* and ENSEAL™*1
- Reduce blood loss compared to sutures and clips 2, 3
- Reduce procedure time compared to sutures 2,3
- Reduce patient length of stay compared to sutures 2
Compared to mechanical ligation techniques, LigaSure™ technology has been shown to:
- Significantly reduce operative blood loss in colorectal, gynecologic and urologic surgery 4-9
- Significantly reduce perioperative blood transfusions in gynecologic, urologic and general surgery 8, 10, 11
- Significantly reduce procedure time in colorectal, gynecologic and urologic surgery 4, 6, 7, 9, 12, 13
- Significantly reduce length of hospital stay in gynecologic and urologic surgery 6, 13
Compared to other energy-based modalities, LigaSure™ technology has been shown to:
- Significantly reduce operative blood loss in colorectal and gynecologic surgery 14-17
- Significantly reduce procedure time in colorectal and gynecologic surgery 14, 17
What is TissueFect™ sensing technology?
TissueFect™ sensing technology is the control system for the ForceTriad™ energy platform, designed to precisely manage energy delivery, creating a range of options for desired tissue effect. TissueFect™ sensing technology monitors changes in tissue impedance 3,333 times a second, and adjusts energy output accordingly to deliver the appropriate amount of energy for the desired tissue effect.
What is LigaSure™ tissue fusion?
LigaSure™ vessel sealing technology has been updated and improved in the ForceTriad™ energy platform, controlled by TissueFect™ sensing technology. LigaSure™ tissue fusion, like LigaSure™ vessel sealing, uses the body’s own collagen and elastin to create a permanent fusion zone. This technology can fuse vessels up to and including 7 mm, lymphatics, tissue bundles and pulmonary vasculature, and has an average seal cycle of two to four seconds in most surgical situations.
1 Lamberton GR, Hsi RS, Jin DH, Lindler TU, JellisonFC, Baldwin DD. Prospective comparison of four laparoscopic vessel ligation devices. J Endourol. 2008;22(10):2307-2312.
2 Ding Z, Wable G, Rane A. Use of LigaSure bipolar diathermy system in vaginal hysterectomy. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2005;25(1): 49-51.
3 Levy B, Emery L. Randomized trial of suture versus electrosurgical bipolar vessel sealing in vaginal hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol. 2003;102(1):147-151.
4 Targarona, et al. A prospective randomized comparison of conventional electrosurgery, biopolar computer-controlled electrosurgery and ultrasonic dissection. Operative Outcome and Cost analysis. Surgical Innovation. 2005 Dec;12(4):339-344.
5 Manouras, et al. Sutureless open low anterior resection with total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer with the use of the electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing system. 2007. Med Sci Monit; 13(5): CR224-230.
6 Ding Z, et al. Use of LigaSure bipolar diathermy system in vaginal hysterectomy. Journal of Obstetrics Gynaecology. 2005 Jan;25(1):49-51.
7 Levy B, Emery L. Randomized Trial of Suture Versus Electrosurgical Bipolar Vessel Sealing in Vaginal Hysterectomy. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2003 Jul;102(1):147-151.
8 Tamussino K, et al. Electrosurgical bipolar vessel sealing for radical abdominal hysterectomy. Gynecologic Oncology. 2005 Feb; 96(2):320-322.
9 Leonardo C, et al. Laparoscopic nephrectomy using LigaSure system: preliminary experience. Journal of Endourology. 2005 Oct;19(8):976-8.
10 Daskalopoulos G et al. Electrothermal bipolar coagulation for radical prostatectomies and cystectomies: a preliminary case-controlled study. International Urology and Nephrology. 2004;36(2):181-185.
11 Romano F, et al. Laparoscopic Splenectomy: LigaSure versus EndoGIA: A Comparative Study. J Laparoendoscopic & Adv Surg Techniques. 2007. Vol. 17, No. 6.
12 Cronje HS, et al. Electrosurgical bipolar vessel sealing during vaginal hysterectomy. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2005 Dec;91(3):243-5.
13 Metzelder ML, et al. Laparoscopic nephroureterectomy in children: a prospective study on LigaSure versus Clip/Ligation. Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2006 Aug;16(4):241-4.
14 Araki Y, et al. Clipless hand-assisted laparoscopic total colectomy using LigaSure Atlas. Kurume Medical Journal. 2004;51(2):105-8.
15 Campagnacci R, et al. Electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing device vs. ultrasonic coagulating shears in laparoscopic colectomies: a comparative study. Surg Endosc. 2007 Feb 8.
16 Takada et al. Comparative study of electrothermal bipolar vessel sealer and ultrasonic coagulating shears in laparoscopic colectomy. Surgical Endoscopy. 2005;19:226-228.
17 Demirturk F, et al. Comparison of the use of electrothermal bipolar vessel sealer with harmonic scalpel in total laparoscopic hysterectomy. J Obst Gynaecol Res. 2007; 33 (3):341-345.
LigaSure™ 5 mm Blunt Tip Portfolio Information Sheet
An informational overview of the LigaSure™ 5 mm blunt tip portfolio.
View Info Sheet
Covidien Energy Portfolio Video
A video featuring Covidien’s full energy portfolio.
LigaSure™ 5 mm Blunt Tip Infographic
A competitive summary of LigaSure™ 5 mm blunt tip device performance.