New and Improved from Medtronic
Reliable Technology. More Efficient Patient Care.
We’re raising the bar on the standard of care in vessel sealing. The nonstick coating on the jaws of the LigaSure Impact™ device delivers the reliable performance of LigaSure™ technology — with greater efficiency and fewer procedural interruptions.([FOOTNOTE=Lig-40 Report Product Claim LF4418 RE00057355. Based on internal benchtop testing conducted on July 29, 2016 using porcine uterine tissue, a wet gauze cleaning fixture, and optical imaging analysis. Cleaning effectiveness assessed after each of 2 cleaning cycles.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
Overcoming Clinical Challenges
Eschar buildup can cause jaws to stick, affect device performance, and require multiple cleanings that disrupt procedural flow. Our coated jaws help to solve this problem, and bring the value of greater efficiency to the OR — for patients, physicians, and the healthcare industry.
LigaSure Impact™ Instrument Features
Potentially Reduces Operating Time:
- Seals and cuts vessels up to 7 mm
- Seals vessels on average in 2-4 seconds
- Actively monitors changes in tissue impedance
- Curved jaws
- Integrated cutting system
- Cutting independent of sealing
- Blunt dissection
- Grasping and dividing tissue
- Instrument design accommodates a wide variety of hand sizes 22
- Operates right or left handed
- Hand activated
Less Sticking. Easier Cleaning. Greater Efficiency.
The LigaSure Impact™ device can grasp, seal, and cut tissue independently — or you can perform all three in one step. The device’s large jaws also:
- Enable fast transection([FOOTNOTE=Based on internal test report #RE00052321, Lig-40 marketing report surgeon evaluation of LigaSure Impact™ LF4418: independent surgeon feedback collected during porcine labs. June 21-22, 2016.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
- Minimize the need for multiple activations 2
- Facilitate procedural efficiency 2
But the latest innovation comes from the nonstick coating on the LigaSure Impact™ device jaws. Because compared to our legacy device, the nonstick coating:
- Reduces sticking by 67%([FOOTNOTE=Based on internal test report #RE00034755, LF4418 design verification report: benchtop testing using porcine abdominal aorta, mesentery, and renal arteries, with average (lbs.) sticking force. Feb. 24, 2016 and March 25, 2016. ],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
- Reduces eschar buildup by 50%([FOOTNOTE=Based on internal test report #RE00057355, Lig-40 report product claim LF4418: benchtop testing using porcine uterine tissue. Eschar buildup assessed using optical imaging analysis after 20, 40, and 60 seal and divide cycles. July 29, 2016.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]), †
- Results in fewer cleanings 4 , ‡
- Makes cleaning more efficient 4 , ‡
The end result is a smoother procedure — for surgeons and patients.
Comfortable Feel in your Hands
The LigaSure Impact™ device is lightweight, comfortable to use, and the activation button is ergonomically positioned.2 It’s designed to optimize performance across a range of specialties, including:
- General surgery
The jaws of the LigaSure Impact™ device also facilitate access because they follow the curve of the stomach and uterus.2
The exact product specifications are as follows:
- Jaw length: 36 mm
- Cut length: 34 mm
- Shaft length: 18 cm
- Shaft rotation: 180 degrees
|Physical Characteristics & Generator Compatibility|
|Length||18 cm (7.1 in)|
|Shaft Diameter||13.5 mm (oval)|
|Shaft Rotation||180 Degrees|
|Jaw Design||Curved, 14 Degrees|
|Seal Length||36 mm|
|Cut Length||34 mm|
|Generator Compatibility||Valleylab™ FT10 Energy Platform; ForceTriad™ Energy Platform|
|Sterile, Single Use|
|Hand Switching or Foot Switching|
|Ordering Quantity||6 Units/Case|
LigaSure™ Technology – Delivering Performance Beyond Expectations
Across the range of products and procedures, LigaSure™ technology delivers a unique combination of pressure and energy to create a consistent seal with each application.
- Provides a combination of pressure and energy to create vessel fusion
- Permanently fuses vessels up to and including 7 mm in diameter and tissue bundles without dissection or isolation
- Average seal cycle is 2 to 4 seconds, when used with the ForceTriad™ energy platform
- Seals withstand three times normal systolic blood pressure
- Feedback-controlled response system automatically discontinues energy delivery when the seal cycle is complete, eliminating the guesswork
LigaSure™ instruments have been found to:
- Have the highest burst pressure, fastest sealing time and were highest rated overall compared to Gyrus PK™*, Harmonic ACE™* and ENSEAL™*([FOOTNOTE=Lamberton GR, Hsi RS, Jin DH, Lindler TU, JellisonFC, Baldwin DD. Prospective comparison of four laparoscopic vessel ligation devices. J Endourol. 2008;22(10):2307-2312.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
- Reduce blood loss compared to sutures and clips ([FOOTNOTE=Ding Z, Wable G, Rane A. Use of LigaSure bipolar diathermy system in vaginal hysterectomy. J Obstet Gynaecol. 2005;25(1): 49-51.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]),([FOOTNOTE=Levy B, Emery L. Randomized trial of suture versus electrosurgical bipolar vessel sealing in vaginal hysterectomy. Obstet Gynecol. 2003;102(1):147-151.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
- Reduce procedure time compared to sutures 6 , 7
- Reduce patient length of stay compared to sutures 6
Compared to mechanical ligation techniques, LigaSure™ technology has been shown to:
- Significantly reduce operative blood loss in colorectal, gynecologic and urologic surgery ([FOOTNOTE=Targarona, et al. A prospective randomized comparison of conventional electrosurgery, biopolar computer-controlled electrosurgery and ultrasonic dissection. Operative Outcome and Cost analysis. Surgical Innovation. 2005 Dec;12(4):339-344.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]),([FOOTNOTE=Manouras, et al. Sutureless open low anterior resection with total mesorectal excision for rectal cancer with the use of the electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing system. 2007. Med Sci Monit; 13(5): CR224-230.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]),([FOOTNOTE=Ding Z, et al. Use of LigaSure bipolar diathermy system in vaginal hysterectomy. Journal of Obstetrics Gynaecology. 2005 Jan;25(1):49-51.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]),([FOOTNOTE=Levy B, Emery L. Randomized Trial of Suture Versus Electrosurgical Bipolar Vessel Sealing in Vaginal Hysterectomy. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2003 Jul;102(1):147-151.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]),([FOOTNOTE=Tamussino K, et al. Electrosurgical bipolar vessel sealing for radical abdominal hysterectomy. Gynecologic Oncology. 2005 Feb; 96(2):320-322.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]),([FOOTNOTE=Tamussino K, et al. Electrosurgical bipolar vessel sealing for radical abdominal hysterectomy. Gynecologic Oncology. 2005 Feb; 96(2):320-322.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
- Significantly reduce perioperative blood transfusions in gynecologic, urologic and general surgery 12,([FOOTNOTE=Daskalopoulos G et al. Electrothermal bipolar coagulation for radical prostatectomies and cystectomies: a preliminary case-controlled study. International Urology and Nephrology. 2004;36(2):181-185.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]),([FOOTNOTE=Romano F, et al. Laparoscopic Splenectomy: LigaSure versus EndoGIA: A Comparative Study. J Laparoendoscopic & Adv Surg Techniques. 2007. Vol. 17, No. 6.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
- Significantly reduce procedure time in colorectal, gynecologic and urologic surgery 8 , 10 , 11 , 13,([FOOTNOTE=Cronje HS, et al. Electrosurgical bipolar vessel sealing during vaginal hysterectomy. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2005 Dec;91(3):243-5.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]),([FOOTNOTE=Metzelder ML, et al. Laparoscopic nephroureterectomy in children: a prospective study on LigaSure versus Clip/Ligation. Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2006 Aug;16(4):241-4.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
- Significantly reduce length of hospital stay in gynecologic and urologic surgery 10 , 17
Compared to other energy-based modalities, LigaSure™ technology has been shown to:
- Significantly reduce operative blood loss in colorectal and gynecologic surgery ([FOOTNOTE=Araki Y, et al. Clipless hand-assisted laparoscopic total colectomy using LigaSure Atlas. Kurume Medical Journal. 2004;51(2):105-8.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]),([FOOTNOTE=Campagnacci R, et al. Electrothermal bipolar vessel sealing device vs. ultrasonic coagulating shears in laparoscopic colectomies: a comparative study. Surg Endosc. 2007 Feb 8.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]),([FOOTNOTE=Takada et al. Comparative study of electrothermal bipolar vessel sealer and ultrasonic coagulating shears in laparoscopic colectomy. Surgical Endoscopy. 2005;19:226-228.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=]),([FOOTNOTE=Demirturk F, et al. Comparison of the use of electrothermal bipolar vessel sealer with harmonic scalpel in total laparoscopic hysterectomy. J Obst Gynaecol Res. 2007; 33 (3):341-345.],[ANCHOR=],[LINK=])
- Significantly reduce procedure time in colorectal and gynecologic surgery 18 , 21
What is TissueFect™ sensing technology?
TissueFect™ sensing technology is the control system for the ForceTriad™ energy platform, designed to precisely manage energy delivery, creating a range of options for desired tissue effect. TissueFect™ sensing technology monitors changes in tissue impedance 3,333 times a second, and adjusts energy output accordingly to deliver the appropriate amount of energy for the desired tissue effect.
What is LigaSure™ tissue fusion?
LigaSure™ vessel sealing technology has been updated and improved in the ForceTriad™ energy platform, controlled by TissueFect™ sensing technology. LigaSure™ tissue fusion, like LigaSure™ vessel sealing, uses the body’s own collagen and elastin to create a permanent fusion zone. This technology can fuse vessels up to and including 7 mm, lymphatics, tissue bundles and pulmonary vasculature, and has an average seal cycle of two to four seconds in most surgical situations.
LigaSure Impact™ Device Information Sheet
Learn more about the features and benefits of the LigaSure Impact™ device LF4418.
View Info Sheet
LigaSure Impact™ Device Value Analysis Brief
Explore the trusted performance and enhanced design of the LigaSure Impact™ device LF4418.
View Analysis Brief