Related Products for Otology, Neurotology, and Lateral Skull Base Procedures
Medtronic offers a comprehensive selection of powered and manual products for otology, neurotology, and lateral skull base procedures and conditions.
Powered ENT Instruments for otology, neurotology, and lateral skull base surgery
Powered ENT Instruments
For otology, neurotology, and lateral skull base procedures, visualization and access can be a challenge. Our Powered ENT Instruments provide innovative tools for otology, neurotology, and lateral skull base procedures as well as other ENT surgeries. The multispecialty Integrated Power Console, Straightshot® M4 Microdebrider, Midas Rex® Legend EHS Stylus® Surgical Drill, and Visao® High-Speed Otologic Drill facilitate more precise tissue removal, visibility, and surgical access during otology, neurotology, and lateral skull base surgery. We also offer the most comprehensive selection of application-specific blades and burs.
The Fusion™ ENT Navigation System may be used for otology, neurotology, and lateral skull base surgery
Fusion ENT Navigation System
Our Fusion™ ENT Navigation System is an electromagnetic image-guided surgery system that offers reliable accuracy, ease of use, and expandability. Image-guided surgery with the Fusion System can help you navigate each patient's unique anatomy for safer, more thorough otology, neurotology, and skull base procedures when operating near structures such as the brain, orbit, or carotid artery. Our Straightshot Automated EM Tracking Blades are factory-calibrated for the Fusion System for additional convenience.
NIM 3.0 Intraoperative Nerve Monitors for identifying and confirming motor nerve function and monitoring major motor nerves during surgery
NIM Nerve Monitors
Our intraoperative NIM® Nerve Monitoring Systems enable surgeons to identify and confirm motor nerve function and monitor major motor nerves during otology, neurotology, and skull base surgeries, as well as other procedures. With the NIM-Neuro® System, surgeons can monitor up to 8 channels of nerve-muscle combinations during complex and delicate surgeries, such as glomus or acoustic tumor removals. Our Stim Bur Guard works with the NIM System and Visao Otologic Drill to provide advance warning of facial nerve proximity during otology and skull base procedures.*
Activent tympanostomy tube for otology procedures
Middle Ear Prostheses and Tympanostomy Tubes
For otologic health and hearing restoration, our middle ear prostheses are available in multiple combinations of biocompatible materials, shapes, and sizes for many different anatomies and conditions. We also offer a vast selection of tympanostomy tubes to suit a variety of otologic patients and surgeon preferences. Our innovative Activent® and Microgel™ tubes help inhibit bacterial growth or adherence.1-4
MeroGel Dissolvable Otologic Packing
Dissolvable Otologic Packing and Patching Products
Medtronic offers innovative otologic packing and patching devices that are dissolvable and bioresorbable, such as MeroGel®, EpiFilm®, and EpiDisc® products. These are made from esterified hyaluronic acid, or HYAFF®, which helps keep the surgical site moist and enhance wound healing.5-9
The Meniett device for Ménière’s Disease, a minimally invasive treatment for managing vertigo symptoms of Ménière’s disease
Ménière’s Disease Treatment
Our Meniett® device is a low-risk, minimally invasive treatment that can help manage the often debilitating vertigo symptoms associated with Ménière’s disease. The American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS) Policy Statement supports the use of micropressure therapy, such as the Meniett device, as a second-level therapy before attempting surgical treatment, especially after medical therapy fails.10
For our complete line of products for otology, neurotology, and skull base procedures, see our online ENT Product Catalog.
* Nerve monitoring capability provided by NIM-Response® or NIM-Neuro® Nerve Monitoring Systems, models 2.0 and later. Must be used with Visao® High-Speed Otologic Drill and Integrated Power Console (IPC® System).
- Chole RA, Hubbell RN. Antimicrobial activity of silastic tympanostomy tubes impregnated with silver oxide: a double-blind randomized multicenter trial. Arch Otolarnygol Head Neck Surg 1995; 121: 562-565.
- Gourin CG, Hubbell RN. Otorrhea after insertion of silver oxide-impregnated silastic tympanostomy tubes. Arch Otolarnygol Head Neck Surg 1999; 125: 446-450.
- Independent laboratory results on file with Medtronic ENT.
- Dunkirk SG, Gregg ST, Duran LW, Monfils JD, Haapala JE, Marcy JA, Clapper DL, Amos RA, Guire PE. Photochemical coatings for the prevention of bacterial colonization. J Biomater Appl 1991; 6:131-156.
- Pirnazar P et al. Bacteriostatic effects of hyaluronic acid. J Periodontol 1999; 70:370-374.
- Longaker MT et al. Studies in fetal wound healing. A prolonged presence of hyaluronic acid characterized wound fluid. Annals of Surgery 1991; 213:292-296.
- Grainger DA et al. The use of hyaluronic acid polymers to reduce postoperative adhesions. J Gynecol Surg 1991; 7:97-101.
- Martini A, Morra B. Use of a hyaluronan-based biomembrane in the treatment of chronic cholesteatomatous otitis media. Am J Otology 2000; 21:468-473.
- Laurent C, Hellstrom S, Stenfors L. Hyaluronic acid reduces connective tissue formation in middle ears filled with absorbable gelatin sponge: an experimental study. Am J Otolaryngol 1986; 7:181-186.
- American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Policy Statement: Micropressure Therapy. March 2008.