Hydrodebrider Endoscopic Sinus Irrigation System
The Hydrodebrider® System is an innovative chronic sinusitis treatment from Medtronic that uses pressurized sinus irrigation to help remove bacteria that cause ongoing sinus infections.
About the Hydrodebrider Endoscopic Sinus Irrigation System
Research indicates that bacterial infections are intimately associated with chronic rhinosinusitis.1-2 The Hydrodebrider® System from Medtronic is an innovative chronic sinusitis treatment, resulting in bacterial reduction in vitro.3 Winner of a Medical Device Excellence Award, it's the first and only powered sinus irrigation system for removing bacteria from the paranasal sinuses, in the operating room or the office. The Hydrodebrider handpieces deliver a rotating spray of pressurized saline at 5 mL/sec, enabling access to all of the sinuses for direct sinus irrigation and fluid removal.
Why It's Needed
Various factors can contribute to the initial inflammatory event that leads to chronic sinusitis. For many patients, standard medical and surgical treatments are effective. But some patients will continue having bouts of infection, despite repeated antibiotics, steroids, surgeries, and other sinusitis treatments.4-6 Numerous studies implicate bacterial infections as contributing agents to chronic sinusitis. Traditional medical and surgical therapies may not provide effective long-term sinusitis treatment in these cases.1-2
The Hydrodebrider System is intended to remove bacteria from the paranasal sinuses. In vitro research shows that our Hydrodebrider sinusitis treatment is more effective at disrupting bacteria than saline lavage.1 Research demonstrated a 99% reduction in bacterial coverage in vitro in chronic sinusitis specimens treated with the Hydrodebrider System.1
Why It’s Better Than Traditional Nasal Lavage
Our innovative Hydrodebrider System has two main advantages: power and access. Research shows traditional nasal lavage performed by patients does not reach all areas of the sinuses and is less effective at removing bacteria than powered sinus irrigation.3 The Hydrodebrider System's rotating spray enables direct irrigation and suction of all surfaces of the paranasal sinus. In addition, laboratory studies have shown that the spray from the Hydrodebrider System is much more powerful than a traditional saline rinse and better able to dislodge bacteria.3
- Jervis-Bardy J, Foreman A, Field J, Wormald PJ. Impaired mucosal healing and infection associated with Staphylococcus aureus after endoscopic sinus surgery. Am J Rhinol Allergy 2009; 23(5):549.
- el-Fiky LM, Khamis N, Mostafa Bel D, Adly AM. Staphylococcal infection and toxin production in chronic rhinosinusitis. Am J Rhinol Allergy 2009; 23(3):264-7.
- Desrosiers M, Myntti M, James G. Methods for removing bacterial biofilms: in vitro study using clinical chronic rhinosinusitis specimens. Am J Rhinol 2007; 21(5):527-32.
- Cannady, et al. Comparison of delivery of topical medications to the paranasal sinuses via "vertex-to-floor" position and atomizer spray after FESS. Oto Head and Neck 2005; 133(5):735-740.
- Ho CY, Chan KT. Effects of intranasal steroid spray in bacterial culture of chronic rhinosinusitis. Am J Rhinol Allergy 2009; 23(4): 405-408.
- Hepworth EJ, et al. Nationwide survey on the use of image-guided functional endoscopic sinus surgery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2006; 135(1): 68-73.
Standard and Frontal Handpieces
The standard handpiece features innovative Flex-Tip suction for sinus irrigation of the maxillary, ethmoid, and sphenoid sinuses.
The frontal handpiece features a 2.2 mm diameter for accessing the frontal sinuses.
Two Handpieces to Fit Your Needs
For more flexibility in chronic sinusitis treatment, you can use our standard handpiece, our new frontal handpiece, or both. Each Hydrodebrider handpiece delivers a rotating spray of pressurized saline at 5 mL/sec.
- Innovative Flex-Tip that incorporates suction and 270° articulation for direct sinus irrigation and fluid removal
- Ideal for accessing the maxillary, ethmoid, and sphenoid sinuses
New Frontal Handpiece
- 2.2 mm diameter for accessing the hard-to-reach frontal sinuses
- May be used with olive-tip suction for fluid removal