Benefits and Risks – Neurostimulators
Spinal cord stimulation may reduce your chronic pain and improve your ability to go about your daily activities. Talk to your doctor about the benefits and risks associated with using a neurostimulator for your chronic pain.
Many people experience improvements in their pain symptoms and quality of life after receiving Medtronic spinal cord stimulation. Benefits may include:
- Improved ability to function and participate
in activities of daily living1
- Effective pain relief
- Personalized pain management
- Controllable—you can manage your
In addition, this treatment:
- Can be adjusted to provide different levels of stimulation for various activities and times of day
- Lets you try the therapy for a short period of time before you receive a permanent implant
Some patients do experience problems. Frequently reported problems following the neurostimulator implant surgery include infection, lead movement, pain at the implant site, loss of therapy effect, and therapy that did not meet the patient's expectations.
For a complete list of side effects that have been associated with the therapy, refer to the Important Safety Information. Please talk with your doctor to fully understand the risks and benefits.
- Kumar K, Taylor RS, Jacques L, et al. Spinal cord stimulation versus conventional medical management for neuropathic pain: a multicentre randomized controlled trial in patients with failed back surgery syndrome. Pain. 2007;132:179-188.
Information on this site should not be used as a substitute for talking with your doctor. Always talk with your doctor about diagnosis and treatment information.
- Find a Doctor
- Explore TameThePain.com
Considering a pain therapy?
Receiving a pain therapy?