REGULAR PATIENT FOLLOW-UP IS NECESSARY
Long-term post-surgical management could ensure benefit from Sacral Neuromodulation. Regular patient follow-up is necessary to ensure the InterStim™ system is providing optimal therapy outcomes, confirm component integrity and performance, and assess neurostimulator battery life.
PATIENT DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS
Before discharging the patient, instruct the patient to:
- Inform all Healthcare professionals, such as consulting physicians and dentists, that he or she has an implanted neurostimulation system
- Avoid physical activities that may damage the implant site or the implanted neurostimulator or dislodge parts of the system.
- Restrict activities such as stretching and lifting heavy objects, for a period of time following surgery to minimize the possibility of lead displacement
- Consult the physician if any unusual signs or symptoms develop
- Carry the Medtronic patient identification card and patient programmer with them at all times
- Consult the InterStim Patient Therapy Guide for answers to questions about how the therapy may affect their day-to-day life.
Periodic visits should be scheduled after the surgery to verify programming parameters and fine-tune the therapy. Use the tools below to guide programming decisions.