TAKE 5 MINUTES to get to know parkinson's and discover the next steps in the treatment of Parkinson's Disease symptoms
LEARN MORE ABOUT PARKINSON’S AND DEVICE THERAPIES
Incidence: over 6M people1 affected worldwide in 2015
This number will double by 20401
About 1/10 people with Parkinson's are under 50 years old1
DISCUSS DBS AS AN OPTION WITH YOUR DOCTOR
DISCUSS THE requirements for DBS eligibility with the Doctor1,7
1. Been diagnosed with Parkinson's for at least 5 years5
2. Movement symptoms not adequately controlled with current medication
3. Currently respond to Levodopa medication
4. Have had movement symptoms for a minimum of 4 months
5. Side effects experienced with current medication
Learn more about getting DBS therapy
DBS therapy works like a pacemaker for the heart. The treatment sends electrical pulses into an area of the brain that controls movement. These pulses disrupt some of the brain’s messages that cause the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
The therapy works 24 hours a day with minimal maintenance or effort.8
5 things to expect from DBS surgery
1. The specialist will evaluate if DBS is suitable
2. An MRI or CT scan will be performed to capture images of the brain
3. A physician will implant thin wires in the brain and a small device under the skin of the chest
4. The specialist will turn it on and adjust to manage the symptoms
5. It is expected that everyday life will continue while attending checkups with your specialists
European Parkinson’s Disease Association. What Is Parkinson’s? https://www.epda.eu.com/about-parkinsons/what-is-parkinsons/. Accessed 14 Dec. 2020.
Lang AE, Lozano AM. Parkinson’s disease. N Engl J Med. 1998;339(15):1044–1053. First of two parts.
European Parkinson’s Disease Association. Motor Symptoms. https://www.epda.eu.com/about-parkinsons/symptoms/motor-symptoms/. Accessed 14 dec. 2020.
Are men at greater risk for Parkinson’s disease than women?, Wooten G., J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2004;75:637–639
Parkinson’s UK. “Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s.” Accessed 10 Dec. 2020. https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/sites/default/files/2020-02/B123_DBS_FINAL_WEB.pdf
Medtronic Supplemental Analysis, Supplement to EPDA website update re patient barriers and claims- v17- Sept-2015
OkunMS, Foote KD. Parkinson’s disease DBS: what, when, who and why? The time has come to tailor DBS targets. Expert Rev Neurother. 2010 December ; 10(12): 1847–1857.
“Deep Brain Stimulation – Advantages, Risks and Conditions Treated.” Accessed 14 Dec. 2020. https://www.aans.org/en/Patients/Neurosurgical-Conditions-and-Treatments/Deep-Brain-Stimulation#:~:text=Stimulation%20settings%20can%20be%20modified,therapy%2C%20when%20they%20become%20available.
Information contained herein does not replace the recommendations of your healthcare professional. For further information, contact your healthcare professional.