People gardening

Your Healthcare Team

Overactive Bladder

As you begin the diagnosis and treatment of overactive bladder, you may meet a variety of medical professionals dedicated to giving you their best possible care. It’s important to be honest and straightforward with your health care providers about your symptoms, lifestyle, and treatment concerns.


Urologists are surgeons who specialize in diseases of the male and female urinary tract and the male reproductive organs. Some urologists have specific experience in female urology and the treatment of incontinence.


Gynaecologists specialize in women's general health, including care of reproductive organs, breasts, sexual function, and hormonal disorders. Gynaecologists also treat pelvic organ and urinary tract problems.


Urogynaecologists specialize in diseases of the female urinary tract and pelvic reconstructive surgery. They also treat prolapse and bladder control problems, including incontinence.

Urodynamics Nurse

Urodynamic tests are usually conducted by nurses specializing in urodynamics. The test is a diagnostic procedure used to evaluate your bladder function. The results of these tests help your doctor decide which treatment is right for you.

Nurse or Nurse Practitioner 

A nurse or nurse practitioner typically works closely with your doctor. He or she may answer questions, and advise you on treatments such as pelvic floor exercises, fluid and diet modification, or physical therapy. In some places specialist nurses are now trained to do the test procedure.

Physical Therapist

Your doctor may prescribe physical therapy to strengthen the muscles in your pelvic floor. Pelvic floor rehabilitation may include pelvic floor stimulation and biofeedback-guided pelvic floor exercises, used alone or in combination.

Information on this site should not be used as a substitute for talking with your doctor. Always talk with your doctor about diagnosis and treatment information.