Regular patient follow-up is necessary to ensure the InterStim™ system is providing optimal therapy outcomes, confirm component integrity and performance, and assess neurostimulator battery life.
Manage-by-Fact Patient Management Protocol
PATIENT DISCHARGE INSTRUCTIONS
Before discharging the patient, instruct the patient to:
- Inform all Healthcare professionals, such as consulting physicians and dentists, that he or she has an implanted neurostimulation system.
- Avoid physical activities that may damage the implant site or the implanted neurostimulator or dislodge parts of the system.
- Restrict activities such as stretching and lifting heavy objects, for a period of time following surgery to minimize the possibility of lead displacement.
- Consult the physician if any unusual signs or symptoms develop.
- Carry the Medtronic patient identification card and patient programmer with them at all times.
- Consult the InterStim Patient Therapy Guide for answers to questions about how the therapy may affect their day-to-day life.