What is a Global Hero?
A Global Hero is a runner. An inspiration. A person whose life has been improved by medical technology.
Medtronic Global Heroes will receive:
- Paid entry for the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon or Medtronic TC 10 Mile race
- Paid entry for one friend or family member for the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon or the Medtronic TC 10 Mile Race.
- Air transportation for the Global Hero to Minneapolis/St. Paul, lodging and meals
- An array of event benefits and gifts, including reserved seating in the Finish Zone for the Global Hero’s family and fans, designated Global Heroes race bib, hat and race singlets, and an invitation to the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon Global Heroes reception.
In addition, the Medtronic Foundation will donate $1,000 on behalf of each Global Hero to a non-profit patient organization that educates and supports individuals who live with the runner’s condition.
Global Heroes Guidelines
Medtronic will recognize up to 25 Global Heroes each year. Runners must meet the following criteria to be eligible to apply.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Have previously run similar distances to the race to which he/she is applying (i.e. a 10 mile race or marathon). No first-time or beginning runners.
- Certify they have consulted with a physician who deems the runner medically fit to participate in the race
- Currently be using a medical device therapy to treat heart disease, diabetes, chronic pain, spinal disorders or neurological, gastroenterology and urological disorders.
Eligible medical devices include:
- Any pacemaker* or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)*
- Any spinal device
- Any neurological device
- Any insulin pump**
- Any heart valve*
*Runner cannot have concurrent coronary artery disease
**Runners 40 years and older, who have had diabetes for more than 15 years, are ineligible. Learn more
Ineligible medical devices/disease states include:
- Stent grafts
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms (AAA)
- Previously documented underlying coronary artery disease
All runners with eligible medical devices are welcome to apply with no restriction on manufacturer. Previous Global Hero recipients, Medtronic and Twin Cities Marathon, Inc. employees and their immediate family members are not eligible.
Runners will be chosen by a committee of the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon. Recipients will be chosen on a variety of factors including: geography, disease condition, reason for participation, running ability and entry story.