Dr. Carolin Suhayda, Global Hero 2014, Italy
What is a Global Hero?
A Global Hero is a runner. An inspiration. A person whose life has been improved by medical technology.
Medtronic Global Heroes will receive:
- One Global Hero entry for the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon or Medtronic TC 10 Mile race
- One complimentary guest entry for the same race as participating Global Hero
- Airfare to Minneapolis/St. Paul for the Global Hero and one guest
- Lodging: one room, double occupancy
- Meal allowance for the Global Hero winner
- An array of benefits and gifts, including reserved seating in the Finish Zone for the Global Hero's family and friends, designated Global Heroes race bib, apparel, and an invitation to the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon Global Heroes reception.
Global Heroes Guidelines
Medtronic will recognize up to 25 Global Heroes each year. Runners must meet the following criteria to be eligible to apply.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Have previously run similar distances with current medical device to the race to which he/she is applying (i.e. a 10 mile race or marathon). No first-time or beginning runners.
- Certify they have consulted with a physician who deems the runner medically fit to participate in the race.
- Currently be using a medical device therapy to treat heart disease, diabetes, chronic pain, spinal disorders or neurological, gastroenterology and urological disorders.
- Medtronic employees and direct family members are not eligible to participate as Global Heroes
Eligible medical devices include:
- Any pacemaker* or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)*
- Any spinal device
- Any neurological device
- Any insulin pump
- Any heart valve*
- Any coronary or thoracic stent
*Runner cannot have concurrent untreated coronary artery disease
Ineligible medical devices/disease states include:
- Abdominal aortic stent grafts
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms (AAA)
- Previously documented untreated coronary artery disease
All runners with eligible medical devices are welcome to apply with no restriction on manufacturer. Previous Global Hero recipients, Medtronic and Twin Cities in Motion employees and their immediate family members are not eligible.
Runners will be chosen by a committee of the Medtronic Twin Cities Marathon. Recipients will be chosen on a variety of factors including: geography, disease condition, reason for participation, running ability and entry story.