Celebrating global athletes who are defined by their spirit, not their health conditions.
Candidates must meet the following criteria to be eligible to apply.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Have previously run similar distances — after receiving therapy or undergoing a procedure — to the race for which they are applying (e.g. a 10-mile race or marathon). First-time or beginning runners are not allowed.
- Certify they have consulted with a physician who deems them medically fit to participate in the race.
- Have a medical device, therapy, or procedure to treat heart disease, stroke, diabetes, chronic pain, spinal or neurological disorders, gastrointestinal and urological disorders, obesity, or cancer.
- Not be a Medtronic employees or direct family member.
- Have a running partner to accompany them at the race.
Eligible medical devices include (but are not limited to):
- Any pacemaker* or implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)*
- Any spinal device
- Any neurological device
- Any insulin pump
- Any heart valve*
- Any coronary or thoracic stent
*Runner cannot have concurrent untreated coronary artery disease
Ineligible medical devices/disease states include:
- Abdominal aortic stent grafts
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysms (AAA)
- Previously documented untreated coronary artery disease
All runners with eligible medical devices are welcome to apply with no restriction on manufacturer. Previous Global Hero participants, and Medtronic and Twin Cities in Motion employees and their immediate family members are not eligible to participate.
Twenty runners will be chosen by a committee of Medtronic and Twin Cities in Motion. Recipients will be chosen on a variety of factors, including geography, disease condition, reason for participation, running ability and entry story and letter or recommendation.