This will play a video. - A physician speaks with her patient.


Getting relief for your back and/or chronic pain means connecting with the right medical professionals and being honest and open about your pain.


To find the right type of doctor for you, look for someone who can offer the full range of treatment options for your chronic or back pain. If your doctor is unable or unwilling to offer you further treatment options, ask for a referral to a surgeon or pain management specialist in your area.

As you explore treatment options for your back or chronic pain, your medical team could include some or all of the following healthcare professionals.



If you see a primary care doctor for annual visits and screenings, he or she is probably the first person you'd talk to about your chronic or back pain. And if non-surgical treatments like over-the-counter medications don’t help, your primary care doctor can refer you to a surgeon or pain management specialist to help determine how to best relieve your pain. 


Depending on the treatment options you consider, you may have a surgeon on your medical team. From neurosurgeons to orthopedic surgeons, surgeons have extensive training in diagnosing back conditions and will refer you to other specialists if you don’t need surgery. Aside from performing the surgery itself, your surgeon will also act as a consultant with you and your medical team on the risks and benefits of a variety of surgical options for your particular situation. He or she may perform a range of corrective back surgeries and/or use chronic pain therapy devices, such as neurostimulators and pain pumps to help with your particular pain treatment strategy. 

Just because you are seeing a surgeon does not mean you will get surgery. In fact, most surgeons do not offer surgery to more than two-thirds of patients they see and treat them with non-surgical therapies instead.


A pain management specialist's primary concern is your quality of life. Working with other members of your medical team, your pain management specialist will coordinate your care, including diagnosing the causes of your chronic or back pain and determining treatment options.


A physical or occupational therapist may work with you to make daily activities less painful, such as walking, driving, doing dishes, and working. In addition, if surgery is part of your treatment plan, you will probably need a physical or occupational therapist to help you get back to your everyday tasks.

Information on this site should not be used as a substitute for talking with your doctor. Always talk with your doctor about diagnosis and treatment information.