BIS™ Brain Monitoring Technology Advantages
Based on the scientifically validated BIS™ algorithm, BIS™ brain monitoring technology uses innovative technology to link patient-specific EEG information to the individual clinical state of each patient.
Clinical Benefits of BIS™ Brain Monitoring Technology
Anesthesia-related clinical benefits include:
- Up to 23% decrease in anesthetic drug use1
- Up to 40% faster wake-up time2
- Faster recovery and extubation times3
- 87% increase in “excellent/fully oriented” status on PACU admission4
- 32% faster eligibility for PACU discharge5
- 80% lower incidence of intraoperative6,7,8,9 awareness with recall in adults
- Improved patient satisfaction10
How Advanced BIS™ Technology Works
- Raw EEG data are obtained through one of several specially designed BIS™ sensors placed on the patient’s forehead.
- The BIS™ sensor non-invasively collects the raw EEG data that indicates the multifaceted electrical activity of the brain in real time.
- The scientifically validated BIS™ algorithm then filters, analyzes and correlates this data, quantifying only the change in the bispectrum and other EEG features that apply to the individual’s current clinical state.
- The results are continually consolidated and displayed as the clinically validated BIS™ index, a number between 0 and 100 that indicate the patient’s response to anesthetic agents.