More than 150 hazardous chemicals are found in laser plume.1
The amount of surgical smoke produced in the OR daily is equal to 27-30 cigarettes.2,†
Surgical smoke creates up to 2X more respiratory issues for nurses than the general population.3
44% of electrosurgery respondents are not trained on the hazards of surgical smoke.4
A hospital committed to smoke evacuation promotes the health and safety of hospital staff and patients — and helps with recruitment.
Be clear about the health advantages smoke evacuation can give your hospital. Our portfolio of smoke evacuation solutions can help protect surgeons, healthcare workers, and patients from the dangerous toxins in surgical smoke.
† Average based on 44 operating days in a single elective plastic surgery theatre where porcine tissue was subject to electrocautery tissue ablation. Results may not be indicative of the average operating theatre.
1. Alp E, Bijl D, Bleichrodt RP, Hansson B, Voss A. Surgical smoke and infection control. J Hosp Infect. 2006;62(1):1-5.
2. Pierce JS, Lacey SE, Lippert JF, Lopez R, Franke JE. Laser-generated air contaminants from medical laser applications: a state-of-the-science review of exposure characterization, health effects, and control. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2011;8(7):447–466.
3. Hill DS, O’Neill JK, Powell RJ, Oliver DW. Surgical smoke—a health hazard in the operating theatre: a study to quantify exposure and a survey of the use of smoke extractor systems in UK plastic surgery units. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2012;65(7):911–916.1
4. Ball K. Surgical smoke evacuation guidelines: compliance among perioperative nurses. J AORN. 2010 Aug; 92(2):e1-e23.
5. Steege, A.L.; Boiano, J.M.; Sweeney, M.H. Secondhand smoke in the operating room? Precautionary practices lacking for surgical smoke. Am. J. Ind. Med. 2016, 59, 1020–1031.
6. HMV Market Research. Based on a survey of 35 experienced, full-time nurses. Aug 2016.
7. Based on internal memo #RE0025744. Particle capture performance of ULPA filters vs. particle size. March 2020.
8. Based on internal test report #RE00125194 rev A, Surgical validation report. July 2018.
9. Based on internal test report #R0038994 rev A, Non-IEC verification report: smoke evacuation test. July 2018.