- The PillCam™ patency capsule is an accessory to the PillCam™ video capsules and is intended to verify adequate patency of the gastrointestinal tract prior to administration of the PillCam™ video capsules in patients with known or suspected strictures.
- The PillCam™ patency capsule should only be used within the specified patient age range based on the patient age of the indicated video capsule system.
Therefore, the PillCam™ patency capsule is intended to be used:
- prior to PillCam™ SB capsule in adults and children from 2 years of age, or
- prior to PillCam™ UGI, COLON, and Crohn’s capsules in adults.
- Contraindications for the PillCam™ patency capsule include:
- Patients with swallowing disorders.
Procedure Risk Information
- The risks of the PillCam™ patency capsule include capsule retention and aspiration.
- Endoscopic placement may present additional risks.
- Medical, endoscopic, or surgical intervention may be necessary to address any of these complications, should they occur.
- After ingesting the PillCam™ patency capsule and until it is excreted, patients should not be near any source of powerful electromagnetic fields, such as one created near an MRI device.
- Passage of an intact patency capsule does not preclude the presence of an intestinal stricture or other pathology.
- Please refer to the product user manual for detailed information.