Endovascular Stent Grafting and Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Questions and Answers Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm (TAA)


If you have a thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA), how do you know if endovascular stent grafting is right for you? Here are some questions and answers about endovascular stent grafting for you to discuss with your doctor and family members.

Am I a candidate for endovascular stent grafting?

Endovascular stent grafting depends on several factors, including your age, race, physical condition, family history, the condition and size of your aorta, and the location and size of your thoracic aneurysm. Your doctor will perform a medical examination and a series of tests to help decide if endovascular stent grafting is right for you.

Back to top

Will endovascular stent grafting cure my condition?

When you have a thoracic aortic aneurysm, you will live with it for the rest of your life. The endovascular stent graft may help prevent rupture of your thoracic aneurysm, but you need to be aware of your condition and make necessary lifestyle changes to avoid complications.

Back to top

If I have the surgery, how long will it take me to recover?

Every individual is different, but after the endovascular stent grafting procedure, you can typically expect to spend 2 to 3 days in the hospital. Complete recovery may take 4 to 6 weeks. Your doctor will give you instructions about what to eat and do before and after the endovascular stent graft surgery.

Back to top

Can I still play golf?

Some patients can return to their normal activities more quickly than others after endovascular stent graft surgery. Your doctor will let you know which activities you should and should not do.

Back to top

What are other treatment alternatives for thoracic aortic aneurysm?

If your thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA) is small, your doctor may recommend periodic exams and prescribe medications and lifestyle changes to reduce high blood pressure, cholesterol levels and smoking habits. If your TAA expands, your treatment alternatives are most likely open-chest surgery and endovascular stent grafting.

Back to top

Where can I find a doctor who specializes in thoracic aortic aneurysm treatment?

There are several thousand endovascular specialists in the United States. Ask your personal doctor for a referral.

Back to top

Information on this site should not be used as a substitute for talking with your doctor. Always talk with your doctor about diagnosis and treatment information.