Your browser is out of date
With an updated browser, you will have a better Medtronic website experience. Update my browser now.
1. What do the lights on the reader mean?
2. How many interrogations or transmissions can occur before the MyCareLink Smart reader batteries will need to be replaced?
The reader is designed to provide several transmissions on fresh batteries. The condition and quality of batteries vary; thus, the number of transmissions before the amber battery indicator is triggered will vary as well.
TIP: Take the batteries out after each use. For each additional use, insert the batteries and turn on the reader, and wait for approximately 10 seconds. If the amber indicator light is on, the reader batteries are low. Replace the batteries when the amber indicator is on.
3. After the user presses the gray button once, the MyCareLink Smart application (app) continues to animate and instruct the user to press the button. Should the user press the button again?
No. The finger animation on mobile devices may be seen several times after pressing the button once. The MyCareLink Smart app is searching for the reader via Bluetooth® in order to establish a Bluetooth® connection. This may take several seconds because the MyCareLink Smart app is going through the mobile device operating system for this process.
5. How long does the reader remain on?
The reader will time out and power down if:
6. If two people in the same household (each member has a Medtronic implanted heart device) would like to use the MyCareLink Smart monitor system, do they need two readers?
Yes, each Medtronic implanted device is paired to one reader only.
Note: If the users only have one mobile device and use the same app, they will need to re-pair their reader each time they transmit.
7. Is the reader paired one-to-one to an implanted device? For example, what if there are multiple people with Medtronic implanted devices in a nursing home?
Yes, it is required that every person receive his or her own individual reader and that reader is paired one-to-one to their implanted device.
Note: When multiple readers are available for pairing, the user will be prompted by the MyCareLink Smart app to select a reader by serial number. See Example 1.
8. How does a family member or caregiver know if a transmission was successful (assuming they have the app on their phone, for someone else to use)?
What if multiple family members assist; will they be able to check when the last transmission occurred?
The screen snap, Example 2, shows the last transmission sent on “this” mobile device of the MyCareLink Smart app home screen. The date of the last transmission would be associated with the last time this specific mobile device was used. They would not be able to view if a transmission occurred on a different mobile device. If multiple family members are helping and using their own mobile device, checking the MyCareLink Connect™ website would be the best way of knowing when the last transmission occurred. This option is limited to four friends or family members.
11. Can I use my smartphone during the interrogation or transmission?
When answering an incoming call or opening a text message, the interrogation session or transmission will be interrupted. If you interrupt the interrogation by answering a call or opening a text message, you will need to repeat the interrogation.
12. What happens if an incoming call comes during the transmission?
If you answer the call after the implanted device interrogation portion, then the app will attempt to transmit the data to the CareLink™ network in the background.
13. What if I lose my mobile device? Is there a data security issue?
Security encryption channels have been established through each step of the transmission process. Your mobile device does not store/save implanted device diagnostic data or protected health information (PHI) on the mobile device, so there is not a concern regarding MyCareLink Smart monitoring if the mobile device is lost. After your implanted device diagnostic data is transmitted, no implanted device data remains on your mobile device. If the checkmark is not received on the mobile device indicating that a transmission was made to the CareLink network, the data is deleted on the mobile device after 15 minutes.
15. How will I receive notifications of software or reader updates?
All updates to the reader software (firmware) come through the installed MyCareLink Smart app. If there is an app update available, you will be prompted to download the update before starting your transmission. If there is a firmware update available, that will happen automatically. The screen (shown in example) will appear on the phone or tablet, and will take approximately three minutes to complete.
Questions about your monitor:
Medtronic Stay Connected
7 a.m.–7 p.m. CT
Medtronic Heart Rhythm Patient Services
Mail Stop MVS 14
8200 Coral Sea St. NE
Mounds View, MN 55112
MyCareLink Connect website:
for Medtronic implanted heart devices
The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth® SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Medtronic is under license.
Information on this site should not be used as a substitute for talking with your doctor. Always talk with your doctor about diagnosis and treatment information.