We invented the cordless ultrasonic dissector, so surgeons can have more freedom of movement within their procedures and improved mobility‡, passing2,Ω and contributes to a safer OR.1
We’ve optimised work in tight spaces with a new tapered curved jaw that facilitates precise access to tissue planes2,‡‡, enables visualization of target structures2,‡‡‡ and allows controlled dissection.2
We’ve extended the power supply for longer procedures with a reusable battery pack that delivers 88% more capacity and easier post-procedure management due to the battery’s non-sterile nature.3,4,†††
We’ve modified the re-usable generator so it’s no longer essential to wash manually and is now both autowashable and autoclavable for streamlined cleaning and sterilization.§§
We’ve redesigned the handle, so surgeons find it more comfortable to use2,§ throughout long procedures and comes available in four lengths to accommodate different procedural needs.
|Harmonic™* HD1000i||Harmonic ACE™* +7|
|Freedom of movement2,4||✓||✓|
|Jaw taper/ jaw profiles6,Δ||✓||✓|
|Ease of assembly4,ΔΔ||=||✓|
|7mm sealing indication||X||X|
|Max jaw temperature nonactive, movable jaw8,ΔΔΔ||✓||=|
|Max shaft temperature8||=||=|
|Jaw cool down time, ultrasonic jaw8,ΔΔΔ||=||=|
|Jaw cool down time nonactive, movable jaw8,ΔΔΔ||✓||=|
|Activation time using advanced hemostasis mode8,ΩΩ,Φ||=||=|
✓ Sonicision™ curved jaw device outperforms competitive device.
= No difference found between devices.
X Competitor device feature not available on Sonicision™ curved jaw device.
‡ 29 out of 33 surgeons surveyed after use agreed.
Ω 32 out of 33 surgeons surveyed after use agreed.
‡‡ 30 out of 33 surgeons surveyed after use agreed.
‡‡‡ 33 out 33 surgeons surveyed after use agreed.
† 10 out of 13 surgeons surveyed after use agreed. Allows greater visibility of the surgical field than a hemostat-style design.
†† Compared to the first generation Sonicision ™ system.
††† 26 out of 28 (93%) nurses surveyed after use agreed. It is easy to determine when the battery is running low and needs to be replaced.
§ Freedom from interruptions in longer procedures, due to longer battery.
§§ Compared to the first generation SonicisionTM system. Option now available for automatic cleaning.
§§§ 33 out of 33 surgeons surveyed after use agreed. The design of the Sonicision™ curved jaw device enables comfortable use throughout procedures.
Δ Active blade measured at the tip and the base.
ΔΔ Testing performed across indicated vasculature in an acute porcine model.
ΔΔΔ Measured across multiple activations on porcine mesentery.
ΩΩ Average of single activations.
Φ Average of single activations on bench porcine mesentery.
1. Brogmus G, Leone W, Butler L, Hernandez E. Best practices in OR suite layout and equipment choices to reduce slips, trips, and falls. AORN J. 2007;86(3):384–394.
2. Based on internal test report #R0042752 rev A, Marketing evaluation of surgeon experience using the SonicisionTM curved jaw cordless ultrasonic dissector. Feb. 13–17, Feb. 28, March 3, May 16, 2017.
3. Based on internal test memo #RE00153542 rev B, Battery capacity comparison between first generation SonicisionTM device battery pack (SCB) and the SonicisionTM curved jaw device battery pack (SCBA). May 17, 2018.
4. Based on internal test report #R0049393 rev A, Operating room staff marketing evaluation of the SonicisionTM curved jaw cordless ultrasonic dissector. Dec. 1, 6–7, 2016
5. SonicisionTM Cordless Ultrasonic Dissection System [user’s guide]. Minneapolis, MN: Medtronic, 2016.
6. Based on internal test report #RE00147772 rev A, Sabre blade comparison report. April 18, 2018.
7. Based on internal test report #R0032362 rev A, Comparison of Ethicon HarmonicTM* HD1000i shears and Ace® +7 vs. SonicisionTM curved jaw device (SPD-83) and LigaSureTM Maryland jaw device (LF19XX) on the ForceTriadTM and ValleylabTM FT10 energy platforms in an acute porcine study. May 8–9, 2017.
8. Based on internal test report #R0032385 rev A, Thermal profile comparison of Ethicon HarmonicTM* HD1000i shears versus nanocoated LigaSureTM Maryland jaw device on the ValleylabTM FT10 energy platform. May 17–18, 2017 and June 14, 2017.