Bronchoscopy is an invasive procedure that allows the direct examination of the larynx, trachea and bronchi using either a flexible fibreoptic bronchoscope or a rigid metal bronchoscope.1,2 Nurses perform an important role supporting patients undergoing bronchoscopy. In this article, we review the role of the bronchoscopy nurse in 3 surgical stages.
In this article we review the tool LEMON which has been used in different clinical settings.
1. Martin, P. (2019) Bronchoscopy. Nurse Labs. Available at https://nurseslabs.com/bronchoscopy/
2. Martin, J. (2013) Preparing and supporting patients undergoing a bronchoscopy. Nursing Times. Available at https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical-archive/respiratory-clinical-archive/preparing-and-supporting-patients-undergoing-a-bronchoscopy-14-10-2003/
3. Sepsis Research (2020) What is Sepsis. Available at https://www.sepsisresearch.org.uk/statistics/
4. Pauline Matthews (2001) Developing the role of the nurse endoscopist. Available at https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical-archive/gastroenterology/developing-the-role-of-the-nurse-endoscopist-01-11-2001/
5. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (2016) Pocket Guide to COPD diagnosis, management and prevention. Available at: https://goldcopd.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/wms-GOLD-2017-Pocket-Guide.pdf
6. NICE (2015) Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/Media/Default/Standards-and-indicators/QOF%20Indicator%20Key%20documents/nm105-copd-guidance.pdf
7. Primary Care Respiratory Society UK (2013). Reviewing people with COPD. Available at: https://www.pcrs-uk.org/sites/pcrs-uk.org/files/os19_copd_review.pdf
8. Sullivan (2019) 5 things to know about capnography. EMS1. Available at https://www.ems1.com/ems-products/capnography/articles/5-things-to-know-about-capnography-Hr5ETRdXzCoU3fLH/
9. American Association of Sleep Technologists (2018) Technical Guideline End-Tidal CO2. AAST. Available at https://www.aastweb.org/hubfs/End-Tidal%20CO2%20-%20AAST%20Technical%20Guideline.pdf
10. Richardson (2016) Capnography for Monitoring End-Tidal CO2 in Hospital and Pre-hospital Settings: A Health Technology Assessment. Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health. Available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK362376/
11. Epstein SK. How often does patient ventilator asynchrony occur and what are the consequences? Respir Care. 2011;56(1):25–38.
12. Puneet Katyal. Pathophysiology of Respiratory Failure and Use of Mechanical Ventilation. American Thoracic Society Available at https://www.thoracic.org/professionals/clinical-resources/critical-care/clinical-education/mechanical-ventilation/respiratory-failure-mechanical-ventilation.pdf
13. Lotia (2008) Anaesthesia and morbid obesity. Continuing Education in Anaesthesia Critical Care & Pain, Volume 8, Issue 5, October 2008, Pages 151–156 Available at https://academic.oup.com/bjaed/article/8/5/151/268305