The Value-Based HealthCare Outcomes Pledge Program is a collaborative and long-term partnership designed to address healthcare complications that result in poor outcomes and higher costs. This outcome-based partnership follows clinical protocols, clinician education, and targeted goals to help improve clinical outcomes.
Are you considering an upgrade of your Puritan Bennett™ 840 mechanical ventilator with the Puritan Bennett™ 980 mechanical ventilator? Or are you evaluating these mechanical ventilators for the first time?
Compare the two so you can understand some important differences and make the right decision for your hospital.
In a typical ICU environment, a 1 to 1 or 1 to 2 ratio of nurse-to-patient has been the common standard. Due to a dramatic influx of patients admitted to the ICUs across the country, clinicians are overwhelmed needing to increase the patient to nursing ratio. This just compounds the strain that’s put on already stressed clinicians.
In this article we review the tool LEMON which has been used in different clinical settings.
Around 1-1.5% of the population requires an upper or lower endoscopic investigation of the gastrointestinal tract each year.6 Gastrointestinal endoscopic procedures are used as diagnostic, as well as interventional. It includes gastroscopies where the scope is placed inside the oesophagus, stomach and first part of the small bowel; and colonoscopies where the scope is inserted in the large bowel. Nurse’s play an important role in these procedures. In this article we highlight the role of nurses in gastrointestinal endoscopy.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is a major cause of chronic morbidity and mortality throughout the world. It is currently the fourth leading cause of death in the world.7 An estimated 3 million people have COPD in the UK, of whom 2 million have undiagnosed COPD.8 It is responsible for over 30,000 deaths, 1.4 million General Practitioner consultations, a million hospital bed days and it costs the NHS over £800 million each year.9
1. Smith, S. J. Advances in understanding nociception and neuropathic pain. J. Neurol. 265, 231–238 (2018).
2. Gan, T. J. Poorly controlled postoperative pain : prevalence , consequences , and prevention. 2287–2298 (2017).
3. Martin, P. (2019) Bronchoscopy. Nurse Labs. Available at https://nurseslabs.com/bronchoscopy/
4. Martin, J. (2013) Preparing and supporting patients undergoing a bronchoscopy. Nursing Times. Available at https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical-archive/respiratory-clinical-archive/preparing-and-supporting-patients-undergoing-a-bronchoscopy-14-10-2003/
5. Sepsis Research (2020) What is Sepsis. Available at https://www.sepsisresearch.org.uk/statistics/
6. Pauline Matthews (2001) Developing the role of the nurse endoscopist. Available at https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical-archive/gastroenterology/developing-the-role-of-the-nurse-endoscopist-01-11-2001/
7. Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (2016) Pocket Guide to COPD diagnosis, management and prevention. Available at: https://goldcopd.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/wms-GOLD-2017-Pocket-Guide.pdf
8. NICE (2015) Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/Media/Default/Standards-and-indicators/QOF%20Indicator%20Key%20documents/nm105-copd-guidance.pdf
9. Primary Care Respiratory Society UK (2013). Reviewing people with COPD. Available at: https://www.pcrs-uk.org/sites/pcrs-uk.org/files/os19_copd_review.pdf
10. Sullivan (2019) 5 things to know about capnography. EMS1. Available at https://www.ems1.com/ems-products/capnography/articles/5-things-to-know-about-capnography-Hr5ETRdXzCoU3fLH/
11. American Association of Sleep Technologists (2018) Technical Guideline End-Tidal CO2. AAST. Available at https://www.aastweb.org/hubfs/End-Tidal%20CO2%20-%20AAST%20Technical%20Guideline.pdf
12. Richardson (2016) Capnography for Monitoring End-Tidal CO2 in Hospital and Pre-hospital Settings: A Health Technology Assessment. Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health. Available at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK362376/
13. Epstein SK. How often does patient ventilator asynchrony occur and what are the consequences? Respir Care. 2011;56(1):25–38.
14. Puneet Katyal. Pathophysiology of Respiratory Failure and Use of Mechanical Ventilation. American Thoracic Society Available at https://www.thoracic.org/professionals/clinical-resources/critical-care/clinical-education/mechanical-ventilation/respiratory-failure-mechanical-ventilation.pdf
15. Lotia (2008) Anaesthesia and morbid obesity. Continuing Education in Anaesthesia Critical Care & Pain, Volume 8, Issue 5, October 2008, Pages 151–156 Available at https://academic.oup.com/bjaed/article/8/5/151/268305