Providers and Coverage Catheter Ablation for Atrial Fibrillation

Your Healthcare Team

doctor talking to elderly woman

Several types of doctors treat people with atrial fibrillation, but electrophysiologists (EPs) are heart doctors that focus on heart rhythms and specialize in catheter ablation.

If you have experienced symptoms, a good first step is to speak with your primary care physician.  He or she may refer you to a specialist for further evaluation. Specialists you might see include:

  • Cardiologist – A doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of diseases in the heart and blood vessels
  • Electrophysiologist (EP) – A cardiologist who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of abnormal heartbeats, including when the heart beats too fast, too slow, or in a way that inefficiently pumps blood, as in atrial fibrillation

These doctors will communicate with your primary care doctor about your diagnosis and treatment for atrial fibrillation. They are key partners in the management of your atrial fibrillation.

It’s important to talk to members of your healthcare team about the tests and procedures they recommend. Discuss any concerns you have and ask questions if you don’t fully understand something. 

Insurance Coverage

Contact your insurance company if you have questions about whether a catheter ablation procedure for atrial fibrillation is covered.

If you have questions about coverage or how to submit a claim, call your health insurance customer service department or representative. This telephone number may be on the back of your insurance card.

Keep In Mind

Although many patients benefit from catheter ablation, results may vary. As with any medical procedure, there are benefits and risks. Your doctor can help you decide if catheter ablation is right for you.

Information on this site should not be used as a substitute for talking with your doctor. Always talk with your doctor about diagnosis and treatment information.